When I asked Karen how she find me… she couldn’t remember if it was The Knot, Style Me Pretty, or one of the many wedding blogs… all she knew was she loved my work. And when clients’ get my style – I know it’s a match made in photo heaven.
Karen, a speech pathologist from Hong Kong and Canada, and Garth a quality inspector at Hormel foods from California and Indiana – found their way to each other on the dating site Ok Cupid. Their wedding is set to take place this coming August – but before then, we just had to get some engagement photos taken in downtown Naperville – a place they now call home.
We met along the very popular Naperville Riverwalk, hit the bridges, river, downtown area, and even had time to stop and get some Frozen Yogurt at Forever Yogurt. These two were all about each other and you could tell they were used to showing each other affection. I always love shooting engagement sessions as it gives me a chance to get to know my couples before the wedding day – and Karen and Garth are no exception. To the happy couple, thank you for spending an hour with me in Naperville – I had such a fun time learning about you both and it just makes me that much more excited for the wedding in August! Here are just a few of my faves…
Today’s blog is in honor of HBO’s True Blood starting this past Sunday – and because my cat happened to bust out a huge yawn right at the moment I was trying to take a picture of her. This Moment of the Month – my vampire kitty, Snowball 🙂
I met Maureen for the first time as she walked through the doors of St. Clement’s Church in Lincoln Park in her gorgeous lace and tool wedding dress. I was so taken aback by her real, natural beauty that I forgot to even introduce myself and just stared and smiled. Luckily, being the sweetheart that she is, she kindly extended her hand and politely asked, “Jill?” At that moment, my photog brain kicked it and it was full speed from there.
The day started at the gorgeous Lincoln Park church, then we hopped aboard the limo bus to the Planetarium for some skyline views, and then to Lasalle St. for the iconic city shot. The whole crew was nothing but smiles the entire day, ready and willing to do whatever I told them. The girls shivered in their short, magic mint dresses (who could have predicted that it would be a chilly 58 degrees on Memorial Day Weekend?!), but managed to look gorgeous nonetheless.
Maureen + Luke, thank you for letting me capture your wedding day. From what I heard in the speeches and what I saw throughout the day (especially in portraits where Maureen had to tell Luke to “control himself” from kissing her too much and squeezing her too close – a problem I LOVE during portraits and isn’t really a problem at all!) – you two were made for each other. One of my favorite things to hear about Maureen + Luke (and probably about any couple ever) was how Luke wanted to come and visit Maureen for the weekend in Chicago after they had met once, but she had to work. So, (are you ready fellas? Take notes) he sat at a table in the restaurant she worked at while she worked and he studied. Just. To. Be. Near. Her. Yeah, you better believe there were a few “awwws” in the crowd when that story was told 🙂
Congratulations to the bride and groom!
Church /// St. Clement’s
Reception /// Drury Lane
Second Shooter /// Jacki Rutledge
So, I’m sort of super pumped that June is here because woo-hoo it’s my birthday month! Yes, birthday month. I celebrate all month long. Not really, but definitely at least a week long of spoiling myself 🙂 And with so much coming up this month – including an engagement session, 3-day conference, a bachelorette party in Vegas, 4 family birthdays, barbecues, Father’s Day, etc… I’m taking some personal time off. I didn’t schedule many weddings this month because after the hecticness of May – I need some time a regroup, reorganize, reconnect with family and friends, focus on ME, and simply… enjoy life
Here’s a look at last month’s goals…
- Revise business plan /// I set myself up for failure setting this as a goal this month. Oops, maybe next time?
- Meet with accountant /// Appointment is in the books!
- Finish editing 2 out of 3 may weddings and submit for publication /// I finished editing 3 out of 3 Mayweddings AND was published by Style Me Pretty Illinois. Check it out here LINK.
- Take at least 4 gym classes this month (in addition to playing rec sports – basketball, sand volleyball, and softball) /// Hot Yoga, Boot Camp, Cardio Blast, and a few cardio machines were used up this month… baby steps?
- Make a smoothie/juice for breakfast twice a week /// I made 2 a week at least. Usually 3 a week… sometimes had one for dinner. Hoping to keep this up because they really make you feel great.
1. Prioritize my sleep. With so much going on all the time, I don’t get as much sleep as I should… which leaks into other areas of my life. I’m catching up starting now.
2. Design another sample album. I might be working with a new vendor for albums from now on. More on that coming soon.
3. Design/send bridal shower invites. I’m planning my cousin’s bridal shower for August – so I need to design and get those invites sent out ASAP.
4. Work Out. I say it every month, and I’m getting better. But this month, I have no excuses. I shouldn’t be overly busy with work, so hitting the gym needs to be a staple in the routine. I think this one will really help with #5, too.
5. Find happiness within myself. I’ve been looking to others a lot lately to make me happy. But that only works when you’re happy with yourself to start.